Sunday 17 June 2018

Labels

Politically Correct

Acknowledging and labeling our identity is a hot topic today.
Somehow we need to know what sex or absence of sex we are, and who we have or don’t have sex with, to identify who we are.
It has become our responsibility to know how others identify themselves before greeting them so as not to offend them by using the wrong terminology.
We all carry many labels, which ones identify who we are?
When I was born in 1962, I came with 10 fingers, 10 toes and one penis so they said I was a boy.
They gave me a name, they called me Blair.
A day old and already I had two labels.
I was born in Canada, so I’m Canadian.
My dad’s father is originally from Scotland.  Now, a Scot too.
My mother’s dad is from Italy, so let’s add Italian.
Her mother is of canadian aboriginal heritage.  Add Metis in the mix.
My parents divorced, Broken Home.
To young to understand grownup problems and not knowing how to deal with them, I left home, Run Away.
Both parents remarried, Son and Step Son.
I have four brothers, two are steps, Brother and Step Brother.
I lost a parent to suicide, Suicide Loss Survivor.
Growing up, I managed to get into some trouble at times, back then I was a Punk.
In my early teens I had a severe acne problem, I was Pickle Face and I was told I was Gay because I had acne.
I hurt my friend Mark, felt bad about that, his mom said I was Dangerous.
I liked to fight to win, before I figured out I didn’t like to hurt anyone, Scrapper.
I enjoyed alcohol a lot, alcoholic maybe, Addictive Personality most likely.
Clean for over thirty years, I LIKE that label.
Smoked a pack and half a day, now Non Smoker.


I have a knee that is failing, Physically Disabled.
I have nerve damage to my left hand, both legs and right side of my face, we call this Peripheral Neuropathy, fancy label.
I was electrocuted and injured my brain, in the emergency I was told I was Lucky.
The brain injury is called Traumatic Brain Injury, big label.
With the brain injury I also have vision loss, Vision Impairment.
I deal with depression, Mental Illness.
I have had girlfriends and have been married to a woman for 31 years with no desires towards anything else, makes me Heterosexual I guess.
We adopted our first child so I’m an Adoptive Parent.
We attended a support group for couples having trouble conceiving children. We were greeted as Fertility Challenged.
We gave birth to a daughter after twelve years.  Sixteen years later there have been no more children for us so I guess we are Fertility Challenged again.
I have two children and a wife, so I’m a Father and Husband.
I have one child with autism, parent of Dependent With Disability.
I have one nerotypical child, makes me a Parent of two. Labels for our kids too.
I have always been over weight, makes me Fat.
When I finished growing I reached six foot one and half, I’m Big Guy.
Now I’m an Adult and a Man.
I’m only one person with a lot of labels.
Do we really need to know who we have sex with, or what body parts we have or don’t have before we greet each other, so we don’t offend with the wrong greeting?
Should we wear tags stating how we wish to be greeted so that it doesn’t make us feel uncomfortable using the wrong term?
Even this Big Guy doesn’t have enough room on his fat chest for all his labels.
They called me Blair.


58 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this.I found this informative, and interesting. You have been through a lot,and you are inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this style of writing/posting. Thank you for sharing. I enjoyed this a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. labels are a necessary part of life. I wear mine with pride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. as you should. we should be able define our labels and wear them with Pride.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing - it's an interesting take on all the labels we hold. It was a very interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't believe in labels. However, I never thought about someone's name being a label.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank for bringing this subject. I agree it's important to talk about this. I don't believe in tags either. We are who we are and nothing more

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for opening up this topic. This is such an interesting one to talk about. It was a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting read. We all do come with labels but we shouldn't be judged on those labels.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do not believe in labeling anyone and have raised my kids the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Evelyn, I’m sure they grow to be respectful people

      Delete
  10. Very interesting read and thank you for sharing x

    Laura
    https://pinkfrenzymissl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. My name is my label because it’s unique to me just as my fingerprints are. Great post and I enjoy your writing style.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great topic to talk about. Sometimes people take those labels so negatively and it should not be. Thanks for sharing!
    www.gregdemcydias.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was so thought provoking to read. I don't believe in labels as I think everyone is capable of changing so why be labeled? -Tonya Morris

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very interesting read. I do not believe in labels but we live in a world where unfortunately they became standards and people think it is normal to label others when its not. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I’m not sure I fully believe in labels and labeling people. Sadly I believe that is what our society has come to.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful and poignant post! It is reflects the current society well. We really have been bogged down with all the labels that have been shoved at us. Let's hope for a world where everyone is more concerned with being a better human being and less with their 'public image'

    ReplyDelete
  17. In my humble opinion LABELS do not mean a thing. I go by what the person is like NOW--not what he was before. Hello Blair--nice to make your acquaintance!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow you have certainly been through a lot. This is a really inspiring story. A lot of people should look up to you and how far you have come

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such an inspiring story of your life and I love the way you wrote it. It's a sort of a poem to my ears.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this! At first I didn't know where this post was going to go, but I totally got it by the end. You have been through a lot, but you should consider yourself very successful with what you have achieved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you were able to connect with the story in some way. Thank you.

      Delete
  21. No matter what label one gets to have. The fact remains we will always be true to who we are... US and nothing else. I love this as it wakes alot in us all as to our true identity to the world today.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Its a great idea to write a blog to document your life after a memory loss. Seems like you've been through a lot,but that you are still pushing through and using your words to inspire others. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think this post is important. Indeed politically correct is not always easy and it is a big subject to discuss

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great post and a great reminder for all of the labels we carry around on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a great post! I hate that our world is so consumed with labeling people.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've always found it interesting how quickly we label people without knowing them... oh, and how we label ourselves based on society's perception.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such a beautifully written post, never realised how many labels we could be carrying with us in other people's eyes

    ReplyDelete
  28. You are amazing and truly an inspiration. This is a great post to ponder. I enjoy reading. It shows how we are being formed in our daily living.

    ReplyDelete
  29. You’re right, it is a hot topic and one I have always struggled with. When you have all these labels attached to you it’s easy to lose your own sense of identty. Suddenly you’re in this box and you are all these labels, not who you really are. I had the hardest time breaking away from all the labels and it is something I try to be very aware of to not fall into a box again

    ReplyDelete
  30. I struggled when writing this post. I didn't want to come across as insensitive to those that struggle with their identity, while staying true to my own.

    I hope that what comes across is that we are who we are and a label isn't going to change that. Although being accepted by others may feel good, it isn't going to change who we are if they don't, wearing a label isn't going to change that.

    Be true to you, the Hell with the rest.

    ReplyDelete