Saturday 13 October 2018

Don’t Stay Alone

Don’t Stay Alone

I once worked for a group home with mentally challenged young adults.  The house they lived in was in an older area of the city, where most of the houses were what would be called, character homes.  This was one of those.  It had high ceilings and tall windows that went to about eighteen inches from the floor to near the ceiling .  There was stained glass throughout the house that added to the old character feel of the house.  The mouldings were made of big, dark wood, lots of it, also hardwood floors that creeked.  There were large banisters on the stairs and old plastered walls, well painted, but you could tell it’s age.  This house was three stories tall with a basement.  The basement, although well lit and clean, wasn’t an area many wanted to visit.

Many of my coworkers told stories of how the house was haunted and had spirits roaming around.  One of the residents lived on the third floor, all alone.  When you worked the over night shift, you generally worked on your own.  One of the girls said she would often see the image of the resident from the third floor, sitting on the sofa in the living room in the middle of the night.  She knew he was sound asleep in his room three floors up.

Another staff had noticed planters move across the living room floor and it was common to to see images out the corner of your eye, moving out of the room.  The basement had a narrow staircase and people had often said, they saw the image of a child at the bottom of the stairs, when they turned on the lights.

There was a period of time in the house where stress with the residents had escalated to the point of violent aggression.  This had gone on for several weeks.  One night late in the evening after a particularly stress filled day, the staff was gathered in the front office to review the days events and complete reports, when an image, a brown mass really, appeared above the table for a brief moment and then slowly floated out of the office door, into the hallway and disappeared around the corner.  We all looked at each other to confirm in our own minds, that we had really seen the same thing.

I’m a, ”you have to show me and I’ll believe it”, kind of guy.  After working there,  I’m not so sure that is the case anymore.  I’m definitely not as quick to disbelieve a story now.

17 comments:

  1. Oh wow, this is interesting! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Creepy! lol That's a story you'll remember forever

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a rather gullible at times person but I also can read people quite well. That being said, it does always keep me thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so inspiring. I always try not to stay alone. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so creepy. It's like you're starring in a real life horror story. I wouldn't want to be alone in a place like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so detailed writer. I liked the details you wrote about the house. The story is so creepy as it gets.. keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is scary! I would not want to be in that place alone either! Now with Halloween coming it makes it even more creepy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very inspiring! Beautiful words that need to be shared, thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so nicely written, thank you for sharing your words with us xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was definitely a creepy story. Yet, it was well written and I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's interesting how an incident can change your beliefs. I, too, like to be shown rather than told about something.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This one is so creepy. I enjoyed reading it. I feel like that I was one who experience that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a creepy story so perfectly timed to the Halloween holiday! Really great read too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Seems as though the house may actually have been haunted. I too am skeptical of things until I see them with my own eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I´m not skeptical at all, I´ve seen my share of weird, unexplicable things.
    I think when you mix old places (with a lot of history) and low energy (from stress and fear) you have a magnet for everything that is vibrating at that same low frequency.
    That´s when things start to go south.
    I´m an independent writer and I write suspense with a supernatural twist and your story gave me the goosebumps! :O

    ReplyDelete